Welcome to Valley
Andrew Johnsen, Ed.D. , Principal
Office Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, 7:30 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.,
Wednesday 7:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
School Hours: Mon, Tues, Thurs, Fri, 8:00 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
Breakfast Service begins at 7:30 each morning
We are pleased to announce that Valley will be able to offer a Transitional Kindergarten class in Spanish for the 2013-2014 School Year.
Those who have applied will be contacted by Friday, May 3rd. If you have not applied and are interested in this program, please contact Angelica Barragan at firstname.lastname@example.org
KINDERGARTEN/TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN ENROLLMENT INFORMATION 2013-2014
We welcome you and your Kindergartener to the Poway
Unified School District. Enrollment forms for the 2013-2014
school year will be available after May 1, 2013. Enrollment
forms are available at
Please note the immunization requirements below; students
will not be permitted to enroll until these requirements are
met. In addition, you must bring with you the child's
birth certificate or passport, two separate
forms of residency verification, and the
completed immunization records.
Kindergarten Enrollment for 2013-14 will take place at each school site beginning the second week of May. Check back here for a complete listing or visit your home school's website in late April.
California law requires the following:
1. A certified birth or baptismal certificate is required for proof of age. Your child MUST BE FIVE YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013 (for the 2013-14 school year).
2. California immunization requirements are:
a) Polio - 4 doses (3 doses if at least one dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
b) DTP - 5 doses (4 doses if at least one dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
c) MMR - 2 doses (Both doses must be given on or after first birthday)
d) Hepatitis B - 3 doses
e) Varicella (Chicken Pox) – 1 dose (or health care provider documentation of Chickenpox disease)
3. All children are required to have their vaccinations fully completed before enrolling in Kindergarten, unless exempted as provided by law. The official record is the California state record immunization (yellow card) obtained from your health care provider, which contains the following information:
a) Name of child
b) Date of birth
c) Name of immunization administered
d) Day, month and year of each immunization
e) Signature or stamp of health care provider or agency administering each vaccine
NOTE: ALL IMMUNIZATIONS MUST BE UP TO DATE AND VERIFIED AT ENROLLMENT! STUDENTS WILL NOT BE PRE-ENROLLED, ENROLLED, OR ADMITTED WITHOUT THIS EVIDENCE.
Only two types of exemptions are allowed for immunization
(1) medical, or (2) personal beliefs. Exemptions must be handled prior to enrollment. Ask your school for specific requirements now.
4. All students are required to have a specific physical examination when entering first grade. This Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) examination may be obtained within 18 months prior to entering first grade. The pre-kindergarten physical qualifies if obtained within six months prior to entering kindergarten in August 2013. Please request forms from your school. If you meet income eligibility, a no-cost physical may be available to you. Check with the Health Technician for names of physicians/clinics in the area.
5. Oral Health Assessments (dental screening) are now required for all children entering public school for the first time at either the kindergarten or first grade level. Forms and waivers are included in registration packets.
6. All school districts in California have been advised that the State Controller’s Office will rigorously enforce Title V (Administrative Code) and Education Code provisions for verification of residency for school attendance. It is therefore necessary for district staff to verify residency of all enrolling students. The enrolling parent/legal guardian/foster parent/relative will be required to complete a Residency Verification form and present two of the following original documents, which will be photocopied and kept in the student’s file. Any subsequent change of address for the
- Deed to primary residence
- Escrow papers for primary residence
- Rental/lease agreement for primary residence
- Military housing orders (base housing office written verification)
- Declaration of temporary residency affidavits for homeless families
- Current bill from local utility company
- Any other legal document(s) which establishes residence address within district boundaries
Additionally, enrollment forms (which may be obtained on the district website) are required and all forms (including the child's social security number, if applicable) must be completed and submitted before a child is eligible for admittance.
Please be aware that during the school day teachers are fully engaged teaching your children and are not able to stop their lessons to answer the phone. To support a focused instructional climate in the classroom we ask your help in reducing the number of interruptions to the classrooms. You can help by discussing with your child alternate pick up plans for days you may be running late or when the weather is rainy. If you do need to get a message to your child, please know that the office staff will only be able to email the teacher and hope that the teacher sees the message prior to dismissal. Each afternoon the two staff members in the office may be covering the health office, pulled into a meeting or covering the phones and won’t be able to track students down to get them a message. By planning ahead with good communication, we can limit classroom disruptions. Thank you for your help with this.
A Message from Dr. Johnsen, Valley Principal
Welcome to Valley Elementary!
At Valley we are very proud of our “scholars” – our 700 students who work hard every day to meet their academic goals and take their first steps towards college. Our classrooms are places where kids use scholarly language and scholarly behavior to think about important ideas and build their academic skills, while taking care of each other and having fun. Our teaching staff is highly skilled and dedicated to meeting the academic and social needs of each student. And our support staff works hard to ensure that our learning facilities are in top shape for each day of learning. If you’ve been at Valley for a while, you know all of this. If you’re new to us, welcome – you’ll soon find that our is a gem in PUSD and your kids will love it here!
Parents are key partners for the success of our students, and I hope that this website will help you find all the information you need to be an active participant in your child’s education. Here you will find information about our school’s dual language program, calendars, lunch menus and much more. Links to Compass Learning and other instructional supports are here as well. If you find any outdated information or see something missing, please let us know – we want to make sure that this site is as helpful to you as possible.
It’s going to be a great school year – Go Tigers!!
Andy Johnsen, Ed.D.
Valley Elementary School
* * * * *
Accountability Progress Reporting
Click here for the 2013-14 School Calendar
Click here for classroom supply lists for the 2013-14 School Year
Click here for information about Orientation for Meadowbrook Middle School