1. What are the names of the Earth’s oceans?
What is the name of the imaginary line that divides the Earth in half
What is the northernmost point in the world called?
What part of a map contains the information on what the map’s symbols
Find an example of an area of land that is completely surrounded by
water. Write down its name. What term is used to describe this type of land?
All lines of longitude are measured east and west of what imaginary line?
What does a star on a map usually mean?
8. Which of the following is not a state: Idaho, Houston, New Mexico, Colorado?
1. What are the names of the
four hemispheres of
the Earth? In which two do you live?
Is the Arctic Circle north or south of the Tropic
What is the name given to a point of land extending into a body of water?
What lines measure distances east and west of the Prime Meridian?
Which of the following is not a city: Dallas, St.
Paul, Cincinnati, Delaware?
Locate the Gulf of St. Lawrence in eastern
Canada. Now write a definition of a gulf.
Latitude is measured north and south of what
8. What is the capital of the largest country in northern Africa?
Is the Tropic of Capricorn north or south of the equator?
What are the names of the seven continents of the earth?
What is the difference between latitude and longitude?
French Guiana and Guyana are countries on what continent?
Which oceans do the equator cross?
What line of longitude forms the other half of the Prime Meridian?
What is the capital of the only state bordered on the south by Arkansas
and through which the 40 N line of latitude passes?
8. What is the capital of the Central American country that has a major canal running through it?
What is the capital of the South American country of Brazil?
What country has the largest land area in the Western Hemisphere?
What is the city located on the Chesapeake Bay that is the capital of
Through which four South American countries does the 20 degrees S line of
On what continents can these, the four longest rivers in the world, be
(3.) Chang Jian
Is Lima, the capital of Peru, east or west of the 80 degrees W line of
What are the three continents with the largest land areas in the world?
8. How many degrees south of the equator is the South Pole?
1. What is the capital of the country whose neighbors are Colombia, Brazil, and Guyana?
If you are a resident of Canberra, Australia, are you a resident of an
island or a continent?
Why are lines of latitude and longitude important?
Name the seven countries that are part of Central America.
Which continent is smaller in land area than Europe?
What is the capital of the country through which the 40 degrees N line of
and 20 degrees E line of longitude pass?
7. Into how many degrees of longitude is the Earth divided?
If it is dawn in the
eastern U.S., what is it in the
western U.S.? Why?
1. Which country has the most land in both Europe and Asia?
nation is farther south, Egypt or Greece?
Spain :: _________________ : India
two continents have a similar physical shape?
0 degree line of longitude which passes through Greenwich, England, is called the
is the capital of the country that borders Afghanistan, , Tajikistan,
Iran, and India. What is this country’s name?
line of latitude or of longitude divide the Earth into the Eastern and Western
8. What are the five themes of geography?
1. Which two hemispheres have the most land area?
lines act as an “invisible grid” over the earth?
the capital of the country with the most land area in North America?
many degrees (rounded to the nearest 5 degrees) are there between the equator and the
northern tip of Australia?
What are the
five countries in
Western Africa that lie on or between 20 degrees N and 10 degrees N?
Along the coastline of which ocean do they lie?
N? Along the coastline of which ocean do they lie?
second largest sea in the world is south of Haiti and The Dominican Republic. What is its name?
country in southern Africa, with Mozambique and South Africa on its eastern and
southern borders respectively, used to be called Rhodesia?
Draw a compass rose
and label the eight cardinal
and intermediate directions.
Daily Geography 8
1. From which direction does the sun rise in San Francisco,
2. Name three seas that surround
the Philippine Islands.
3. Which tropic cuts
through a large North
American country? What is the name of the country?
4. What state is west of New
Hampshire and east of
5. What oceans border
6. What type of
land form separates Asia from Europe?
What is its name?
7. What continent is south
of the four major oceans of the world?
8. What capital city is near
the equator and 80 degrees W
line of longitude?
Daily Geography 9
Reminder: DOG is not accepted if the questions and answers are not on your paper
when you come into class. Also, please remember the academic policy when doing
your homework. :)
1. Which country has the largest
land area in
2. What lines of latitude determine the "tropics"?
3. Which ocean is larger, the Arctic or Indian?
4. Name at least 2 items a map's key should include.
5. Washington, D.C. : United
States : :
____________________ : China
6. Why is Greenwich, England, so
7. What is the easternmost contiguous state in the United States?
8. What city is the capital of
Alabama and the 1st
capital of the Confederacy?
Daily Geography 10
1. Which state usually has the coldest weather year round and why: Oregon, Tennessee, Arizona, Georgia?
2. Where is the largest gulf in the world located? What is its name?
3. The land masses of Europe and Asia, together, are sometimes called _________________
4. Name the two states that are not part of the contiguous United States.
5. Every ___________ degrees of longitude on the Earth marks another time zone. Into how many time zones is the Earth divided?
6. What state is due north of Pennsylvania?
7. What is the approximate degree of longitude for the International Date Line? Why is it approximate and not exact?
8. Name the 4 oceans in order of size, smallest to largest.
Daily Geography 11
1. Names the five Great Lakes
2. Albany : New York : : ___________________ : Oregon
3. What is the name of the
largest lake in Central
4. What do the following
countries have in common:
Angola, French Guiana, Canada, Portugal?
5. Name the country in southeast Asia between Myanmar and
Laos that used to be called Siam.
6. How many countries does the
Antarctic Circle pass
7. What ocean is closest to Mongolia?
8. What is the capital of the
island that has the Sea
of Japan as its western border?
Daily Geography 12
1. What is the name of the
surrounded by South Africa?
2. What are the two largest seas in southern Europe that touch Russia?
3. Which state capital is farther
north, Utah's or
Illinois's? How do you know?
4. What imaginary lines divide
the Earth into the
Eastern and Western hemispheres?
5. Seoul is the capital of which east Asian nation?
6. Which is closer to the South
Pole, the southern tip
of Africa or the most southern edge of mainland
7. What is the name of the
Spanish islands off the
northwest coast of Africa?
8. What continents does the
Arctic Circle pass
smaller, the Red Sea or the Mediterranean Sea?
There are ______degrees between the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer?
the capital of __________, a country which occupies land known as Asia Minor?
continents do not have any land in the Southern Hemisphere?
states border Lake Michigan?
of the Unites States are on or above the 60 degrees N line of latitude?
the following countries have in common: Chad, Paraguay, Hungary, Swaziland?
What is the name of one of the largest bodies of fresh
water in the world that is located in eastern Africa?
What two North American countries
touch the Beaufort Sea?
any states located south of 25 degrees N latitude? If so, which one(s)?
What one country
on the Iberian Peninsula?
the name of the bay that is connected to the Atlantic Ocean by the Hudson
What body of water separates Iran from Saudi Arabia?
were designing a map of your city, would you let 1 inch equal 1 mile, 100 miles,
or 500 miles? Why?
of latitude falls halfway between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn?
8. Which of the following states is farthest north:
Nebraska, Iowa, South
Dakota, or Michigan?
What is the capital city?